Phone: 507-637-4008 | Fax: 507-637-4009
Redwood County Government Center
403 South Mill Street, P.O. Box 130
Redwood Falls, MN 56283
The Redwood County Assessor’s office performs duties as required by Minnesota State Statute to ensure that a uniform and equalized assessment of all property in the county is attained.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Determine the use of each property and assign a classification based on that use.
- Determine the Estimated Market Value of each property.
- Determine the homestead status of the property based on receipt of appropriate application.
- Physical inspection of all property at least once every 5 years (Minnesota Statutes, section 273.01). Additional inspections may be necessary for new construction or other property changes. Exempt properties will be valued every 6 years.
- Notify each property owner annually of the Estimated Market Value and Classification as of January 2 of the assessment year, which is the value your property taxes will be based on the following year.
All appraisers employed by Redwood County are licensed professionals. The State Board of Assessor’s governs and administers the licensure of appraisers and sets training, continuing education and experience requirements. Appraisal staff employed by Redwood County will carry identification.
The Assessor’s office handles all homestead applications and addresses property valuation and classification concerns. To qualify for a homestead, a property must be both owned and occupied by the owner or occupied by a qualified relative of the owner as of January 2 or as of December 1 of the assessment year. Application must be made by December 15 of the assessment year to qualify for homestead.
Forms & Links
- Homestead Classification Fact Sheet
- Redwood County Homestead Application
- Redwood County Relative Homestead Application
- Special Homestead for Property Owners who are Blind or Disabled Fact Sheet
- Redwood County Class 1B Blind or Permanently Disabled Application
- Special Agricultural Homestead: Please contact county assessor’s office for correct form.
- Special Agricultural Homestead Fact Sheet
- Disabled Veterans’ Homestead Property Tax Exclusion: Please contact county assessor’s office for correct form
- Property Tax Fact Sheets
Local Board of Appeal & Equalization Meeting Dates
Local Board of Appeals & Equalization
2020 Meeting Dates
Local Board of Appeal and Equalization meetings are held annually by townships and cities between April 1st and May 31st to address the concerns of property owners who choose to appeal their current assessment year’s valuation and/or classification. These meetings are conducted fairly and objectively according to the laws of the state and are vital in the appeals process and contribute to the attainment and preservation of assessment equalization.
The County’s valuation and classification of a property can be appealed if the property owner does not agree with the assessment. We strongly encourage anyone with a question or concern regarding their valuation or classification to contact the Assessor’s Office at (507) 637-4008 prior to the meeting to discuss.